The strategic objectives are::
- To contribute to the improvement of economic management;
- To prioritise public expenditure in favour of socio-economic infrastructure and pro-poor areas like primary health care, primary education and rural infrastructure development;
- To undertake measures to generate increased revenue;
- To provide budgetary support to ensure effective and efficient civil service;
- To mobilise demand based foreign aid and to improve aid effectiveness;
- To ensure better financial management practices in public enterprises, and improve their delivery reason, and
- To ensure effective linkage between budget allocation and delivery system of Ministries and their Departments.